As you guys already knows that, GST is the new tax reform in India. GST has removed all the indirect taxes from our country likes sales tax, service tax, excise duty and so on. But, this reform is not being smooth among customers because, due to low knowledge of the new tax system, maybe some dealers are giving unauthentic and fake bills to the customers. Though GST is a single tax, it is divided into CGST and SGST for the sake for distribution of revenue among center and state. According to news reported by Times of India on July 2017, a electronics shop in Kandivali has sold one bulb for Rs. 100 and added GST 10%, while there is no such slab. In Byculla, a restaurant sold a soft drink by adding an 18% slab of GST. So, as responsible citizens of our country, you should be aware and in this article, we will be showing How to verify GSTIN Online to Stop Fraud by the Name of GST. By following these simple steps, you can verify, if the dealer of the business or services is fake or not. Also, you can report your complaint to GST authorities.
GST Receipt Format You Should Know
Whenever you buy goods or receive services, the supplier will give you the receipt on which GST Number is printed in the following format which will contain the following details:
- Name and address of supplier
- Goods and Services Identification Number (GSTIN) of supplier
- Serial number of the receipt
- Date of issue
- Description of goods or services
- Rate of tax like CGST and SGST
- Amount of tax applicable for particular goods or services
- Signature or digital signature of the supplier or his authorized representative.
GSTIN (Goods and Services Identification Number) Structure Explained In a Simple Manner
The GSTIN is a unique 15 digit identification number, issued to the supplier of goods and services, who is registered under the GST law. The number will replace the VAT and Service tax and only GSTIN will be shown on the receipt. So, let’s take a look at its structure
- First two digits: The first two number of GSTIN will represent the state code according to the census of India 2011. Each state has its own unique 2 number format. For example, Rajasthan the GSTIN is 08 and for Bihar, the GSTIN is 10.
- Next 10 digits: Now the next 10 digits show the PAN (Permanent Account Number) of the dealer of his/her business. The business can be clothed shop or restaurant.
- 13th digit: The 13th of GSTIN will represent a dealer, who has registered under the same PAN number for a different business. For example: if the dealer has registered for 8 times, then the digit will be 8.
- 14th digit: The 14th digit of GSTIN is ‘Z’ by default
- 15th digit: The 15th digit is the checksum digit of all numbers
How to Verify GSTIN Online to Stop Fraud on Name of GST
It is quite easy to check. While checking out from the restaurant or shopping, the business entity should issue you a GST bill, which will include GSTIN (Goods and Services Identification Number). If you find any of the merchant tricking you or find anything suspicious. Keep the bill handy and follow these steps to know How on to verify GSTIN Online to Stop Fraud Name of GST if the GSTIN is valid or not.
- Visit the official website www.gst.gov.in | or visit this directly: services.gst.gov.in (Direct Check)
- Point towards services and click search ‘Search Taxpayer’
- Enter the GSTIN of the taxpayer and captcha code and click on search button.
- You will get the results of the GSTIN number like name of a business, state, GSTIN status like details will be mentioned.
- You can see details like this online
Check the Tax Slab for the Items you May Purchase
After you find out that the dealer is the genuine business holder, now it’s time to know, if the rates applicable to the goods or services you had received. For example, if you had a dinner in a restaurant the tax slabs will be like:
- If you had food in a non-AC restaurant: 12% tax
- if you had food in an AC restaurant: 18% tax
- If you had food in a 5-star hotel: 28% tax.
You can also download ‘GST Rate Finder‘ from Google Play Store or check this official portal for rates, where you get familiar with all the tax rates for goods and services. As a customer, you should always be aware of these fraudulent practices by some traders, if you find out any GSTIN number fake or invalid, then you raise your complaint by using the contacts below.